Vacuuming a sofa is often forgotten. Not smart, since we sit on the couch every day and it can be full of different allergens. If you do not vacuum the sofa regularly, the chance of an allergic reaction increases and increases.
In this article, I’ll tell you everything you need to know about vacuuming a sofa. Find out how best to do this and what to watch out for!
Why vacuuming a sofa is important
Every day we sit on the couch in front of the television. It is important to vacuum this piece of furniture regularly so that you can plop down on a hygienic sofa. A couch can be full of allergens, which – if you are sensitive to this – can cause an allergic reaction.
Possible allergens in a sofa
Which allergens can be found in a sofa? More than you think! In many cases, a sofa is placed by the window: if you open the window on a sunny day, pollen can easily blow into your home. The sofa and cushions can become full of pollen. You can also have pollen on your clothes, which you can leave behind on the sofa cushions.
In addition, house dust mites can also live in your sofa. Dust mites are small creatures that feed on human dander. Since a person loses millions of skin flakes a day, the couch is an interesting place for dust mites.
And do you have a dog or can you at home? Then I don’t have to tell you that a sofa can also be a source of pet hair. These too can cause an allergic reaction: some people are allergic to the animal dander that can be found on the animal hair.
Vacuum your couch the right way
But, what’s the best way to vacuum your couch? What many people forget are the gaps between the cushions and the sofa cushions themselves. In addition, the wrong suction nozzle is often used, so that the sofa is not cleaned thoroughly.
With the tips below you can vacuum the sofa properly:
- Remove all cushions from the sofa, including the seat cushions themselves*
- Use a vacuum cleaner with a good HEPA filter and adjustable power
- Vacuum the sofa with a turbo brush (preferably a motorized brush)
- Knock out the cushions outside
- Vacuum the cushions before putting them back on
*Is it not possible to remove the seat cushions from the sofa? Then use a so-called crevice tool. With this you can easily vacuum hard-to-reach places – so cracks between the cushions.
Vacuum cleaner for the sofa: requirements
You can’t easily vacuum a sofa with every vacuum cleaner. If you only have a floor brush, it will be difficult to vacuum between the cracks of the cushions. A good vacuum cleaner for vacuuming a sofa should meet the following criteria.
- A HEPA filter: with this there is a low dust emission and allergens are filtered from the air. Important with a sofa and other fabric furniture.
- A turbo brush: this suction brush can vacuum deep into the fibers and is a lot more compact than a floor nozzle.
- A crevice tool: in some cases the seat cushions of the sofa cannot be removed. You can vacuum between the cushions with a crevice tool.
Finally, I would like to give you the tip to always check the suction brush well before using it. It can be dirty: if you don’t pay attention, you will soon have a dirty couch.