If there is one thing in the house that is difficult to vacuum, it is a carpet. Whether it's long-pile or short-pile carpet, dirt is often difficult to remove from rugs. However, it is very important, as a rug can often be full of various allergens.
In this guide, I'll tell you everything you need to know about vacuuming your carpet thoroughly. I will tell you, among other things, which floor brushes are best to use and why it is important to vacuum a carpet on a regular basis in the first place.
Why vacuum the carpet?
As I mentioned just now, there can be several allergens in the carpet. Do you have pets? Then the carpet can already be full of millions of animal dander. But not only that: if you already open the window, pollen can also blow in and settle in the carpet.
Allergens that can be in the carpet
- Pollen: good ventilation of the home is important. But opening the window on a sunny day with a lot of wind can result in pollen in your carpet. You can also walk in them if you come from outside.
- Dust mites: carpets and rugs are often a source of dust mites. That's not surprising: house dust mites like warm places and feed on skin flakes. A carpet that is not cleaned often enough is therefore the ideal place for these little critters.
- Pet hair and dander: If you have a dog or cat in the house, the carpet is often strewn with hair. This is because pet hair can easily attach to fabric. In addition to rugs, you often come across them on fabric furniture such as sofas. Read more information about vacuuming a sofa here.
Tip: If you have pets, a handheld vacuum can be a useful addition. Nowadays, there are special handheld vacuums for pet hair equipped with a turbo brush, making it easy to remove pet hair.
Get a good carpet vacuum cleaner
To properly clean a carpet, you need a good carpet vacuum cleaner. But, what makes a vacuum cleaner suitable for carpets? In my view, a vacuum cleaner must at least meet the following characteristics:
- Good suction on soft floor types
- Equipped with a HEPA filter
- Suction brushes suitable for carpet
- Adjustable Power
Did you know that I researched the best robot vacuum for carpet? In the research I looked at the above points, among other things. We also recommend choosing a bagless vacuum cleaner for pet hair, as it is easy to empty and requires minimal maintenance.
These suction brushes are best used for carpet
Perhaps the most important is a suction brush that is suitable for carpet! My preference is a motorized brush for low-pile carpet and a carpet brush for high-pile carpet.
- Special carpet brush
- Motorized Turbo Brush
- Combi brush
I prefer a motorized turbo brush for low-pile carpet and a carpet brush for high-pile carpet. If you use a motorized brush on deep-pile carpet, there is a chance that it will get stuck.
Tip: Nowadays, there are vacuum cleaners that come with so-called turbo brushes, making it quite easy to vacuum carpets. These vacuum cleaners are also highly suitable for cleaning the carpets in a car. Check out the best cordless vacuums for cars here.