For a good vacuum cleaner, you will have to pay hundres of euros. It is not surprising that many wonder how long a vacuum cleaner lasts on average. There are several factors that influence the lifespan of a vacuum cleaner: for example, not only the brand is an important characteristic, but also how you use the vacuum cleaner. At VacuumTester we have researched how long a vacuum cleaner lasts. View our findings.
A vacuum cleaner lasts an average of 5 years
If we look at the average lifespan of a vacuum cleaner, this is about 5 years. A vacuum cleaner is equipped with various maintenance-sensitive parts. A good example of this is the vacuum cleaner’s motor, which gradually reduces its power the more you use it. In doing so, we must make a clear distinction between parts that can and cannot be replaced.
A vacuum cleaner can often be repaired easily and does not have to be thrown away at all. Parts that can often be easily replaced include:
- Defective cable reel
- Broken vacuum cleaner hose
- Worn suction brushes
- Stuck wheels
- A clogged or outdated (HEPA) air filter
Parts that are often not worth repairing are the mechanical parts in particular. Think of the motor of the vacuum cleaner.
How long does a stick vacuum cleaner last?
A stick vacuum is often cordless and bagless. We are dealing with a vacuum cleaner that works on a battery. And just like all other batteries and accumulators, they lose the maximum charging time after many charges. You will be able to vacuum for less and less time, making it necessary to replace a battery. We are also dealing with a bagless vacuum cleaner: where a vacuum cleaner bag often serves as an extra filter, you are dealing here with – in many cases – washable filters.
In general, a stick vacuum cleaner lasts about as long as a traditional vacuum cleaner on wheels, but we often have to deal with maintenance here.
Factors that influence the life of a vacuum cleaner
There are several factors that play a major role in the maximum lifespan of your vacuum cleaner. Not only is the choice of a specific brand an indication of how long a vacuum cleaner can last, but your own behavior also plays an important role.
- Vacuum cleaner brand: The brand of the vacuum cleaner can determine the length of the life of the vacuum cleaner.
- Product class: Build quality is obviously an important part of the life cycle of your vacuum cleaner.
- Your behaviour: How you handle the device is also important. Treat your vacuum cleaner with respect.
- Applications: If you use the vacuum cleaner for the wrong applications, this can have a negative influence on the lifespan.
- Maintenance: timely replacement of, for example, the filters can have a positive effect.
Vacuum cleaners of these brands last a long time
As with many other home appliances, there are certain brands that are known for build quality. There are also brands that stand out in the field of vacuum cleaners. The vacuum cleaners of the following brands last longer in many cases:
We do notice that vacuum cleaner brands seem to find quality increasingly important. Also brands like Rowenta and Xiaomi.
With these tips a vacuum cleaner will last longer
Of course we want to last as long as possible with a vacuum cleaner. We are happy to give you tips with which you can possibly extend the life cycle of your vacuum cleaner! Do you have an interesting tip of your own? Send me a message!
- Wash and replace the vacuum cleaner filters on time
- Only suck up what it is intended for
- Find the best vacuum cleaner for your floor types