A cordless vacuum cleaner works on a battery. Is the battery empty? Then you can no longer vacuum and you have to charge the battery first. A battery can lose its power after being charged many times. This also applies to the batteries of a cordless Dyson vacuum cleaner.
I regularly get questions about the expected life of a Dyson battery. Because, how long does a Dyson battery last? In this complete guide I list the battery life and lifespan of different Dyson vacuum cleaners.
How long does a Dyson battery last?
The big question for this guide is how long a Dyson battery will last. You can interpret this question in two ways: for example, you can talk about how long the battery lasts during use. But, you can also ask yourself when you should replace a Dyson battery.
How long a Dyson battery lasts during use depends on a number of factors. I list them:
- Operating mode: if you use the vacuum cleaner in turbo mode, for example, it will last much shorter.
- Suction brush: The type of suction brush can have an impact on battery life. Without a suction brush, a battery lasts longer.
In the overview below I list my findings for popular Dyson vacuum cleaners.
|Specifications||Dyson V8 battery||Dyson V10 battery||Dyson V11 battery||Dyson V15 battery|
|Voltage||22,8 V||25,2 V||25,2 V||25,2 V|
|Turbo mode||5 minutes||7 minutes||10 minutes||10 minutes|
|With suction brush||25 minutes||35 minutes||60 minutes||60 minutes|
|Without suction brush||40 minutes||60 minutes||60 minutes||60 minutes|
Reasons why the battery does not last as long
The table above clearly shows that, for example, a turbo mode or the use of a suction brush can have an impact on the battery life. However, there could be more reasons.
For example, the use of incorrect suction brushes can result in a shorter battery life. In fact, the Dyson battery might even need to be replaced sooner.
A blockage or a dirty filter can also lead to a shorter battery life.
This way you can last longer with a Dyson battery
What can you do to extend battery life? There are a number of actions you can take yourself. These tips are also good for the general vacuum cleaner life.
- Clean your vacuum cleaner regularly (check here a step-by-step plan for cleaning a Dyson vacuum cleaner)
- Check the vacuum cleaner for blockages
- Wash or replace the filters in time*
- Do not constantly vacuum on turbo mode; only when necessary
- Charge the battery when you have about 20% left
- Handle the vacuum cleaner with care
- Only use Dyson accessories (no universal aftermarket parts)
* Cleaning a Dyson filter is only possible with washable filters. You can often recognize this by water drop icons on the filter.
When does a Dyson battery need to be replaced?
Before you just buy a new Dyson battery, it is smart to determine whether it really needs to be replaced. If the battery lasts much less than normal in a mode other than turbo mode, there is a good chance that your battery needs to be replaced.
A while ago I contacted Dyson. An employee told me that a Dyson battery lasts about six years. She did indicate that the battery life depends on the use with the vacuum cleaner and how it is maintained.
An employee told me that a Dyson battery lasts about six years.
It is good to report that there should be no difference in the lifespan of the batteries of different Dyson types. A Dyson V11 battery should last as long as that of a V15. But it turns out that there is an exception for a model…
Most problems with Dyson V8 battery
As I mentioned in the introduction, I regularly receive questions. Many of these questions about the Dyson battery are about one specific model: the Dyson V8. Reason enough for me to put this question to Dyson as well.
The employee indeed says that the battery of the Dyson V8 is replaced faster than that of other types. However, according to her, this could be due to incorrect use: for example, many users would use the vacuum cleaner too often in turbo mode or clean the filters too little.
Buying a new Dyson battery: here’s what to keep in mind
Does the battery need to be replaced? Before you just buy a new Dyson battery, it is smart to pay attention to a number of factors. For example, it is important to see whether the battery is suitable for your Dyson vacuum cleaner. Handy buying tips at a glance:
- Check whether the battery is compatible with your vacuum cleaner (Not sure which model you have? Find out which Dyson you have first.)
- Check whether you need a snap-in or a screw-in battery: you recognize
- Go for a battery from Dyson itself
- Check whether you are entitled to warranty
Did you get the right battery? Check here an extensive guide to replacing a Dyson battery (suitable for multiple models and versions).
I hope my guide helped you. Would you like to share your experience with a Dyson battery? Feel free to send me a message!