V11, V12 or V15: Blinking Blue Light
If you have a V11, V12, or v15. A blue flashing light means there is no charge in the battery. This often means your battery is done for, and you need a replacement.
However, it can also mean:
- Your battery is good, but your charging component is fried.
- Or that the cable is not working or that the cable is not inserted the right way. (So, double-check your cable first; plug and unplug that thing. That's the first thing the helpdesk will ask you if you call them, so that happens often!)
- Or the outlet is not working (broken circuit breaker, or just no power on the outlet).
- On our YouTube Channel, we also had a reply from Ecksterphono, which made many people happy. It might solve a few ‘blue light ‘malfunctions, so it's worth mentioning it here, we however don't think it solves a blinking blue light issue.
Blue light also indicates temperature issue, which can arrive from constantly running on max mode with powerbrush running. This should only be temporarily used. Use max mode only with the wand removed and use with the non motorized attachments when your doing cleanups like the couch (pretty much dust buster mode) or using the crevice tool.
Don't vacuum a floor on constant max suction. Whether carpet or hardwood. Max suction only increases by 5cfm and just turns the direct drive powerbrush a bit faster. To reset this issue. Set the max mode switch to normal. Push the trigger for only 2 seconds then place it on the charger so you have a solid blue light. While on the charger hold the trigger for 15 seconds and let go. Then allow the charger to fully charge the battery. Once the light goes out, you can use the vacuum. Beware though, heavy use and also not servicing the cyclone canister from time to time, dirty contacts and shorts or grounds in the powerbrush wiring through the wand and corrosion or moisture from humidity on the contacts due to slight wet vacuuming with the vacuum will cause these issues to pop up.
Every so often disassemble the cyclone separator chamber, separate the gaskets and wash the cyclone components (minus the foam gaskets in soapy water). Use compressed canned air on the gaskets. To properly clean the cyclone separator canister, it has to be taken apart to clean the caked dust crevices. If you shake the canister and you here rattling, chances are wet pet dander or slightly wet pet dander that hardened is suck in the cones with small hairs. This will also throw codes and cause a lot of resistance in the system on high settings.Eksterphono below our (old) YouTube video about the blue light
Make sure to double-check this before buying a new battery!
Since we are talking about the v11 and above here, your display will give you better insights into other malfunctions of your Dyson. A flashing blue light can only mean battery problems on these newer models.
If the things above do not help you or do not work, you probably need a new battery.
– Amazon V10 Replacement Battery: $30-$90
– Dyson V11 Replacement Battery: ± $150 – Not in Stock @ Amazon
– Dyson V12 Replacement Battery: ± $120 – Not in Stock @ Amazon
– Dyson: V15 battery replacement: ± $150 – Not in Stock @ Amazon
V8 and V10, Solving the blinking blue light
If you have a v8 or v10, It can mean two things: Your Dyson is simply charging but is at a low charge, or your Battery is Empty. (when you touch it without the charging cable attached to it)
on a v8 if you look at the guidelines of the Dyson v8, it means two things:
Empty – Needs recharging or Chaging, low charge
If you think the battery is giving you an error try the things mentioned also on the v11, v12, and v15, in short, we will mention them again:
- Check and twist the cable a bit.
- Check (or change) the power outlet.
- Check the charging component.
- Make sure your Dyson is not overheated.
If that didn't help, it's probably time for a new battery:
You can either buy replacement batteries at Amazon or the official ones at Dyson, the prices are very different, though. On the v8 and v10, we would probably go for replacement parts because the price eleven is that low.
– Amazon V8 Replacement Battery: $15-$42
– Amazon V10 Replacement Battery: $15-$42
On the v6 or V7, it's a bit more complex.
On the back of the V6 and V7, there is a (different, extra) blue round backlight (main body light). This is a different kind of light. However, it can also blink! This is the source of people being mixed up about this topic very often:
- A normal flashing blue light indicates that there is no power. (Like on all other models) or that the battery is charging.
- A flashing blue MAIN BODY LIGHT indicates the battery is running low on charge.
- A fast flashing MAIN BODY LIGHT indicates no power or a temporary fault (e.g., check filter or for blockages).
PS. Just so you know: The V6 is also called: SV09, SV05, SV04, SV03, HH08, DC72, DC74, DC58, DC59, DC61, DC62
How to solve this for the V6 or V7? Well, I need to bring you the bad news. The V6 (and V7's) Dyson's are extremely old! They were the most sold items from 2014 to 2017. They probably do need a battery replacement; before you buy a replacement battery, be sure to double-check the power outlet and the cable! If those look okay, It's battery-buying time:
– Amazon V6 Replacement Battery: $15-$42
– Amazon V7 Replacement Battery: $19-$60
– Dyson V6 Battery (official): Currently out of stock / $90-$100
– Dyson V7 Battery (official): $90-$100
In the video below, I will explain what a blue flashing light on your Dyson can indicate for various models.
Why the Dyson blue light is blinking
As mentioned above, a blue flashing light on your Dyson vacuum cleaner is in 90% of the cases connected to battery issues. It's a way to get your attention so you don't keep vacuuming with a Dyson that isn't doing its job correctly. The light can be found near the battery of your Dyson.
The blinking light is particularly common on older Dyson vacuum cleaners that do not have an LCD on the vacuum cleaner. Think of models such as the Dyson V6, Dyson V8, or the Dyson V10.
It's good to know there's nothing wrong with the Dyson light blinking blue when you're about to charge it. This is only to show that the Dyson is charging successfully.
All possible Dyson manuals concerning the flashing blue light
V6 Flashing Blue Light: Manuals
V7 & V8 Flashing Blue Light: Manuals
V10 Flashing Blue Light: Manuals
The v10 in some cases, has a different light system. If the filter light is for instance flashing, you have a problem with your filter:
V11 Flashing Blue Light: Manuals
V12 & V15 Flashing Blue Light: Manuals
Not sure which model you have to attack your blinking light? In the article Which Dyson Do I Have? I'll help you find out!