With a cordless Dyson vacuum cleaner you can vacuum flexibly. You don't have to take into account a cord and constantly having to change the plug. But, then the battery must of course continue to work for a longer period of time.
When a Dyson battery runs out quickly, there is a problem. There can be several causes for a battery that does not last long. And no, it does not necessarily mean that your battery is worn out.
When is Dyson battery does ‘not holding charge'?
Let's start with the normal life of a Dyson battery. Because, how long does a cordless Dyson vacuum cleaner normally last when it is fully charged?
|Dyson Vacuum||Normal mode||Turbo mode|
|Dyson V6||20 minutes||5 minutes|
|Dyson V7||30 minutes||6 minutes|
|Dyson V8||40 minutes||7 minutes|
|Dyson V10||60 minutes||5 minutes|
|Dyson V12||60 minutes||5 minutes|
|Dyson V15||60 minutes||5 minutes|
For example, do you use a fully charged Dyson V10 in turbo mode and is the battery empty within 5 minutes? Then that's just normal. Does the battery last less than two minutes in normal mode? Then there is a problem.
Reasons for a Dyson battery not holding charge
If a Dyson battery only lasts a few minutes in normal mode, there is a problem. Although in many cases it concerns a worn battery, it may be useful to first rule out whether there is no other underlying cause.
Most common causes
View the most common causes of a Dyson battery that does not last long below.
- Charger not properly connected: If the charger or charging cable are not properly connected, the Dyson battery will not be able to charge properly.
- Is in turbo mode: with a Dyson vacuum cleaner without an LCD display, it can quickly happen that the vacuum cleaner is accidentally in turbo mode.
- Clogged filters: a heavily soiled Dyson filter can become clogged. The vacuum cleaner then needs extra energy to be able to vacuum.
- Blockage in air duct: If there is a blockage anywhere in your Dyson's air duct, a lot of battery energy is wasted.
- Full dust container: if you keep vacuuming for too long with a full dust container, the battery can run out faster.
- Motorized bristle brush: With a bristle bristle brush, a Dyson needs more power to spin the brush.
In addition to the above causes, it is of course also possible that your battery is worn out. Earlier I researched the Dyson vacuum battery life and contacted Dyson. With normal use, a Dyson battery will last about 5 to 6 years. If your Dyson is not that old yet and you maintain it well, there is a good chance that it is one of the above causes.
With normal use, a Dyson battery will last about 5 to 6 years
In many cases, a red light comes on when the battery is worn out.
Checklist: this is how your Dyson battery lasts longer
We assume that your Dyson battery is not worn out yet. With the checklist below you can thoroughly check your vacuum cleaner for possible problems that can result in a Dyson battery that doesn't last long.
- Check the charging cable: check whether the charging cable is properly connected when you charge the vacuum cleaner. If the Dyson is charging properly, a blue light will blink.
- Check the filter: unscrew the filter from the vacuum cleaner and check whether it is dirty. Clean the Dyson filter if necessary. Long time no replacement? Then it is advisable to replace the Dyson filter with a new one.
- Check for blockages: disconnect all Dyson components and check for possible blockages in the airway channel.
- Clean the vacuum cleaner: unplug all accessories and clean everything thoroughly. View a manual here on how to clean a Dyson vacuum.
Empty the dust container and double check that your Dyson is not in turbo mode. This is clearly visible with Dyson vacuum cleaners with an LCD screen, but less well with stick vacuum cleaners without a display.
Not solved? Check warranty or replace battery
If the battery still only lasts a few minutes after my checklist, chances are your battery is worn out. Although Dyson communicates an average lifespan of 5 to 6 years, how long it actually lasts depends on your use. It is smart to check the Dyson vacuum warranty. Dyson cordless vacuum cleaners have a two-year warranty. Did you buy a battery separately? Then you have a one-year warranty.
If you no longer have a warranty, you can replace the battery yourself. Fortunately, replacing it is not difficult and does not require any technical knowledge. It is important that you buy the right Dyson battery. Each Dyson series has a different battery. Not sure which Dyson series you have? Do the Dyson serial number check! Discover the right battery:
|Dyson Serie||Battery replacement|
|Dyson V15||Dyson V15 battery|
|Dyson V11||Dyson V11 battery|
|Dyson V10||Dyson V10 battery|
|Dyson V8||Dyson V8 battery|
|Dyson V7||Dyson V7 battery|
|Dyson V6||Dyson V6 battery|
Did you buy the right battery? View my manual for replacing a Dyson battery or the video below.
I hope my guide helped you. Can't figure it out or do you have additional questions? Please feel free to leave a comment at the bottom of this page.