🇺🇸 Check out the best quiet vacuum cleaners in the United States:
Best quiet canister vacuum: AEG VX82-1-ÖKO
Best quiet stick vacuum: Dyson V15 Detect
Best quiet handheld vacuum: Philips FC6149 MiniVac
A vacuum cleaner can produce quite a bit of noise. And that can make vacuuming much less pleasant. Not just for those who vacuum: fellow residents and even neighbors can be bothered by a noisy vacuum cleaner.
One of the regular parts of my reviews is a noise measurement, where I measure the number of decibels of a vacuum cleaner with a sound meter. I have listed the noise level per vacuum cleaner of all my reviews, on which this research is based. Again: I have actually tested every vacuum cleaner myself!
Table of contents:
- Best quiet vacuum cleaners right now
- Best quiet canister vacuum cleaner
- Best quiet stick vacuum cleaner
- Best quiet handheld vacuum cleaner
- How I research the best quiet vacuum cleaner
- All vacuum cleaner noise measurements in a row
- Why research the best silent vacuum cleaner?
- Different silent vacuum cleaners
- Updates of this research
Best quiet vacuum cleaners right now
At Vacuumtester.com I test different types of vacuum cleaners: from stick vacuums to canister vacuums (with and without bag). At the time of writing, I’m working on many more reviews: where necessary, I’ll update my research on the best quiet choice.
Best quiet canister vacuum cleaner
The AEG VX82-1-ÖKO is the best silent vacuum cleaner with a bag. This is an environmentally friendly vacuum cleaner: the vacuum cleaner consists of only 57% recycled plastic. At only 54.9 decibels, the vacuum cleaner is also the quietest vacuum cleaner I’ve ever tested.
In addition to being a very quiet choice, the vacuum cleaner is also a powerful choice. With a measured suction power of 20kPa, it scores remarkably high when I compare it with other vacuum cleaners. A number of extra pluses of this vacuum cleaner with bag:
- There is floor recognition, so that the suction power is automatically adjusted
- The vacuum cleaner has an ergonomic handle
What you should keep in mind is that the vacuum cleaner is a bit heavier than other vacuum cleaners. In addition, you don’t get a lot of accessories with it, which makes it less versatile. In the video below you will discover my complete review.
Best quiet stick vacuum cleaner
Prefer a stick vacuum? Keep in mind that this type of vacuum cleaner is a lot noisier than a canister vacuum cleaner. At the moment it is best to choose the Dyson V15 Detect: this stick vacuum has a noise level of 72 decibels. This is a lot lower than other stick vacuums.
The Dyson V15 Detect is not only quieter than other stick vacuums, but also a lot more powerful. You also enjoy the following benefits with this vacuum cleaner:
- Floor nozzle with laser: thanks to the green laser, dirt on the floor is more visible
- The vacuum cleaner is equipped with a piezo sensor, which automatically adjusts the suction power
What you have to take into account with this vacuum cleaner is the price tag: it is not a cheap choice compared to other vacuum cleaners.
Best quiet handheld vacuum cleaner
Looking for a compact, silent handheld vacuum? Then it is best to choose the Philips FC6149 Minivac at the moment. In my review I measured a noise level of 75.6 decibels. This is remarkably much lower than other handheld vacuum cleaners.
Besides the fact that this is the quietest hand-held vacuum cleaner at the moment, you also enjoy many interesting advantages. You get a car plug with it, so you can also use it as a car vacuum cleaner without charging. Even more benefits:
- Very different accessories, including a flexible vacuum cleaner hose
- With handy storage bag to keep it in the car
- Very easy to empty dust container
Keep in mind that the maximum battery life is only 11 minutes if you use it wirelessly.
How I research the best quiet vacuum cleaner
In all my vacuum cleaner reviews, the noise measurement is an important part. Although the maximum noise level for vacuum cleaners is often indicated on the packaging, I always test this myself.
I use a decibel meter for this. To ensure a reliable measurement, I always consider the following factors:
- I always empty the vacuum cleaners before taking the measurement
- I put the vacuum cleaner on the highest power
- The vacuum cleaner is equipped with a suction brush
- The sound measurement takes place while vacuuming on a hard floor
- I always keep the decibel meter at the height of the handle
- The measurement takes place in my test room, where there is no ambient noise
I use the above measurement rules for every review: this is the only way I can compare vacuum cleaners in an honest way.
All vacuum cleaner noise measurements in a row
Are you curious about what other vacuum cleaners scored during the noise measurement? View the overview below per vacuum cleaner model.
|Canister vacuum||Type||Noise level|
|AEG VX82-1-ÖKO||Canister vacuum||54,9 Decibels|
|Dyson V15 Detect||Stick vacuum||72 Decibels|
|Philips FC6149 Minivac||Handheld vacuum||75,6 Decibels|
Why research the best silent vacuum cleaner?
A silent vacuum cleaner is very interesting for several reasons. This way you can vacuum more quietly and others in your environment will be less bothered when you start vacuuming. Some use cases why the choice of a vacuum cleaner with a low noise level is interesting:
- If you live in a noisy house
- When your cat or dog is afraid of the vacuum cleaner
- You also want to be able to vacuum in the evening
- If you have small children*
* Did you know that the sound of a vacuum for babies can have a calming effect? This sound is also called White Noise and it masks ambient sounds. This allows small children to sleep better.
Different silent vacuum cleaners
Are you going for a cordless stick vacuum cleaner or a bagless vacuum cleaner on wheels? It is good to know that a vacuum cleaner with a bag is in many cases a lot quieter than a vacuum cleaner without a bag. In my article Bagless vs Bagged Vacuum Cleaner, I came to the conclusion that a dust bag can dampen the sound considerably.
Stick vacuum cleaners are often a lot noisier than other types of vacuum cleaners. The same goes for handheld vacuum cleaners. Not to mention the noise level in turbo mode.
If you don’t want to hear any noise at all while vacuuming, you can opt for a robot vacuum cleaner. In many cases you can have this set to work when you are not at home. That way you won’t experience any noise nuisance at all. A robot vacuum cleaner is more of a ‘vacuum cleaner on the side’.